Pages

Wednesday 9 March 2016

Badge 6: The Rolling Stones Albums

The Rolling Stones Members. 
Left to Right: Watts, Richards, Jagger, Wood
(therollingstones.com)
When listing off famous rock bands, one band is almost always featured on that list. The Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones were founded in 1962, and have had the same consistent lineup of Mick Jagger (lead vocals), Keith Richards (guitar), Ronnie Wood (guitar) and Charlie Watts (drums) since 1975. Since creation, the band has released 22 albums and has had eight of their songs reach #1 on the Billboard top 100 charts. The Sporcle Badge Challenge for this week was straight forward. Name all 22 albums released by the Rolling Stones.

The 'Gimme Shelter' Badge
Let me preface this by saying I had no idea what I was doing going into this quiz. For some reason, I do not remember very many album names. In addition, I am familiar with maybe 12 or so Rolling Stones songs (Check out the video below for some song recommendations). Given these two factors, I had my mother Fran (an avid Sporcler in her own right) aiding me for this whole badge attempt.

I started off by simply naming the band’s name, which led me to two albums (The Rolling Stones and The Rolling Stones No.2).  The rest of the quiz was my mother entirely going to work. Of the other 20 answers in the quiz, I had only heard of one of the albums. The rest were a mix of amusing alliterations (Beggar’s Banquet, Between the Buttons), simple rhymes (Tattoo You, Steel Wheels) and fascinating imagery (Goats Head Soup, Let it Bleed). In the end, my mom pumped all the answers in two and a half minutes. 
This badge is not just a victory for me, but for the whole Lyons’ pride!   

5 comments:

  1. Have you been watching Vinly on HBO? It's executive produced by Mick Jagger. This post made me think of that show. Shows totally fictional but based on true stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A+ pun: Lyons' pride! I really like your blog Patrick and I had never heard of Sporcle previous to reading your blog. I think you have done an excellent job with this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really liked to read your blog Patrick. "Paint it, Black" was one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made an account on Sporcle, you have done an amazing job convincing me to start checking it out. Great work as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Rolling Stones. Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete